Wednesday, February 4, 2009

7.5 Habits

In response to PLCMC's presentation, TCCL has asked that we talk about which of these habits is easiest, and which is hardest for us personally.

My initial reaction is that none of them are really that difficult for me, so for easiest, I'm going to choose Habit 4: Have Confidence In Yourself as a Competent, Effective Learner. To be honest, I've always been teacher's pet, head of the class, do-gooder, nerd, what-have-you. I often say that, if I win the lottery, I'll go back to college and stay there. I love learning new things, especially in a structured environment like a classroom.

That brings me to my downfall. Habit 1: Begin With The End In Mind is quite difficult for me. I tend to have a hard time planning ahead, and I rely a lot on others' structure. As an example, I have taken two creative writing classes in my life, one in high school, and one in college. During those classes, I was highly productive, writing poems, short stories, and other works with frantic speed. Once I left the classroom, though, without the formal structure of assignments and deadlines, I just quit. I need that outside pressure to drive me to succeed.

5 comments:

  1. There's something to be said for the "cattle chute" structure of a classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perpetual college student idea sounds good to me, too. (sigh) I suppose the next best thing would be to work in a place full of books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also thinking this is like a library school assignment, so I dig it. Where did you go to school?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same thing with my creative writing. I have a number of unfinished novels and short stories. It's the same with lifelong learning. I often start a learning project (like learning Spanish or html) but never see it to fruition (I usually learn just enough to be dangerous and then forget what I learned because I don't keep up with it). I'm not sure if it's lack of stick-to-it-iveness or that I get distracted by something else that catches my attention (probably both).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cara-

    My undergraduate degree is from Fort Hays State University in Kansas. I got my library degree at The College of St. Catherine in St. Paul, Minnesota, but my degree-granting institution was Dominican University in River Forest, Illinois, which I've never seen. Ah, the wonders of distance education!

    ReplyDelete